Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 170

Thread: student expelled from UVAWise

  1. #121
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: student expelled from UVAWise

    Can you see what would happen if Poe stumbled thru?

  2. #122
    Inactive Member Unchained's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2005
    Location
    Norton, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    7,249
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: student expelled from UVAWise

    Good post
    BTW: I am starting to see some of your handiwork at work (ala Lightfoot [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]-always good to see him in straps). Good luck trying to figure out whether those "characters" are playing or not. You have my sympathies
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
    Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future

  3. #123
    Inactive Member the_alienist's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 8th, 2006
    Posts
    597
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: student expelled from UVAWise

    lol thanks, sometimes I wonder...but 5 point therapy works wonders....especially with the b.s that comes flying my way sometimes.
    I make Machiavelli look like a weenie.

  4. #124
    Inactive Member Unchained's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2005
    Location
    Norton, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    7,249
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: student expelled from UVAWise

    If it was up to me,5-points would be the choice over ambulatory restraints every time,but that isn't the way that things are done anymore.
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
    Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future

  5. #125
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: student expelled from UVAWise

    To me, the argument he makes shows his own guilt. To paraphrase, someone else wrote a story about killing a boyfriend but nothing was done. So obviously the writing, be it questionable or odd, isn't by itself worthy of something being done.

    And according to a post I read elsewhere, the attorney general in 2006 I think it said said that a college has the rules to permit its own rules. If I read it right, they can't prohibit a person having a concealed weapon permit necessarily, but when a person is a student there, or works there, they agree to follow the rules of the college.

    And as was said elsewhere, if he disagreed with that rule, then that was something that he could have attempted to address properly, not break the rules of the place, and complain about the rules. Next week someone will decide that since they are 21, and can legally buy alcohol, they should be able to drink it out on the street.

    Truthfully, its incidents such as this, that cause more problems for people to legally have guns. It's people who legally have rights who exploit or attempt to exploit the law that cause people to think things need to be more restricted.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  6. #126
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: student expelled from UVAWise

    Are you referring to his questioning of whether it is unconstitutional for the college to restrict guns Rock?
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  7. #127
    Inactive Member centennialdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2003
    Posts
    3,263
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: student expelled from UVAWise

    Listen, we all have done some sort of writing like his in our past. Just think, back in the 70's, it was actually encouraged to express your opinions by writing B.S. Now, if we write like this, then we are labeled as being psychotic. Don't get me wrong, I still don't think that him being a war veteran gives him the right to do as he pleases, but war does change a person. Just look at the example the alienist gave. Churchill, Roosevelt, and Lincoln. All three figured ver prominantly in the wars of their time. War changes soldiers.

  8. #128
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: student expelled from UVAWise

    Generally. I think his argument that the college doesn't have the right goes out the window when a person signs the forms to be a student. Now when they are off campus or not at a school function, they have all the rights, but when they are at the school, the campus or even if the school has a seperate athletic facility off campus, you are supposed to abide by their rules, rather you agree with them or not, or you face the consequences. I just thought his argument of a girl, writing about killing a bf, and nothing being done, proved that the writing wasn't the issue. I know this, in the crazy world we live in now, if I was in a class, and someone had a paper that sounded a bit too real, or had elements that worried me, I would judge the case on the person. If I didn't know them really, I'd probably start watching them a bit more, but if I had thought they were a bit out of touch, excentric or odd, I'd definitely be raising my voice if it was enough to concern me. Afterall, waiting because you "don't think they would actually do anything" might put you in a position where you find out otherwise a bit too late. I'm of the mind anymore that I'd rather err on the side of being overly cautious, because unless there is more to a story, overly cautious doesn't hurt anyone, not being cautious enough does at least IMO.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  9. #129
    Inactive Member CoeburnCane's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,931
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: student expelled from UVAWise

    OK--so Rock's on record as saying he thinks that campus rules should overrule State Laws...which makes no sense whatsoever.

    Anyone else want to make this claim?

    If the college or someone else wants to, I'm sure Barber's lawyer would love to eat them alive.

    For instance:

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And according to a post I read elsewhere, the attorney general in 2006 I think it said said that a college has the rules to permit its own rules. If I read it right, they can't prohibit a person having a concealed weapon permit necessarily, but when a person is a student there, or works there, they agree to follow the rules of the college. </div></div>

    Allow me to add onto the end of this something that most any logical person would..."but an agreement does not equal a law". Even an ambulance chaser would take this softball and put it out of the ballpark of litigation with a meager amount of precedent.

    Plus..."overly cautious doesn't hurt anyone"...ask Barber if it hurts anyone when he tries to get jobs that he may want or if/when he goes back into the military, puts a permanent ceiling on his clearances...and with it his ability to advance forward into the military if he chose to. Basically, this mark on his mental health record has made him a "mental felon" of sorts, and has condemned him for something he put from mind to paper that is FICTION...we're all still acting like his story was an autobiography when it's clearly not. Rational thought has been overtaken by rampant panic. Fear controls the masses...I'm with YB--maybe Year Zero is coming quicker than we think.

    P.S.--no personal offense to you Rock, just on this situation I strongly disagree w/your stance.
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

  10. #130
    Inactive Member Sat_morning_QB's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 26th, 2002
    Posts
    430
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: student expelled from UVAWise

    I'm wondering if there's more to it than just the story? Maybe the teacher didn't like him or his views as Juhan, maybe there has been some sparring in the past over some other thing and it's not being brought up. Being over 21 and living on campus I could see where he might have had a run in before involving alcohol on campus, who knows just saying. I believe he has a good case and the case worker at the BSG ability could be brought into question too, a knee-jerk reaction to all the other campus shooting going on around the nation.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •